Thursday, February 20, 2014

Soul-filling Satisfaction

“For he satisfies the thirsty and fills the hungry with good things” (Psalm 107:9).

Wow!  What a promise.  How I long for the Lord to satisfy my thirst and hunger with good things.  I used to think that because I changed my family's eating habits to healthier foods that I was doing good.  Made to Crave has changed my view point.  Too much of a good thing can hurt just as much as unhealthy eating.  I catch myself overindulging on the good things because they taste good, are good for you, and I dislike leftovers.  Watching my kiddos do the same thing has got me thinking that leftovers are a great lunch item for the next day!

Now, our dinner table consists of all good foods and I make sure everyone gets enough.  We all keep each other accountable and put the rest in containers for lunch the next day, or we accumulate the leftovers during the week and have leftover night on Fridays for dinner.  The Lord is teaching us that He is more than enough to fill our desires, dreams, and appetites.

We also used to rush through our meals.  Dinner times are still hectic due to dance schedules for 4 of our 5 children, but we still manage to eat as a family.  On our most hectic days, we either have a leftover night or I make a crock pot meal.  This way we can still eat as a whole family and I do not have to be in the kitchen cooking.

As we are making wiser choices, we are asking the Lord to fill us with His good things before we plan our meals.  We still have our unhealthy foods, but we have made the boundaries and established routines that allow us to not over-do the bad or the good.  I am glad that the Lord promises to fill our souls.

Until next time, may God bless each and everyone of my readers.  Love ya!

3 comments:

  1. Love! How you do what you do with the family and on this journey is amazing and glad to have you on this journey!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are setting a wonderful example for your children. They are learning how to live a healthy life and where to put their trust each and every day! Perfect roll model! :) Mary B. obs team

    ReplyDelete
  3. Colleen:
    Thank you so much for showing me that it is possible to set boundaries for myself and my family. You are so right about too much of a good or bad thing can become unhealthy without limits. I give you a standing ovation for leading your children by example, which will lead them to success with their goals in life... Jaime Fisher-Starnes (Group 12)

    ReplyDelete