Thursday, January 30, 2014

Sweet Place of Breakthrough

As I sit here trying to figure out a plan of action for my eating habits, I am reminded of a time before I was pregnant with my fifth child.  I had been experiencing great strides in losing weight and controlling my unhealthy eating habits.

About 5 years ago, I stumbled upon books written by Shonda Parker that talk about being naturally healthy using God's wisdom and guidance.  After reading her books, I decided to make changes in our eating habits as a whole family.  Some of the changes were: raw sugar instead of white sugar, butter instead of margarine, canola oil & olive oil instead of vegetable oil, more fruits and veggies, less packaged foods and more homemade foods.  We were successful in our transition.

Now for the exercise, or lack there of.  We live in the country on the corner of a dead end road.  It is 1 mile round trip (from my house to the dead end and back).  We all love walking and one day decided to walk to the end and back.  We all got to the end, but struggled to get back.  Even the kids, but we were #determined to get home.  After that first walk, the kids did not want to try again.  I convinced them that next time would be easier because I allowed them to take their bicycles.  Success!! We then started a daily regime of walking to the end and back on the nice days.  Then winter hit.  Too cold to walk.  But the next spring brought renewed energy to walk again and we had another successful 3 seasons of walking.

Well, between the walking and eating better and the success of not eating junk food before bed, I starting losing weight.  Then one day, almost 2 years ago, my two youngest children got sick.  I was not feeling very well myself, but they came first.  I got them feeling better and then my two oldest children got sick.  I was still not feeling well, but I took care of getting them better.  Finally, my husband got sick and it was like having another child. :)  All the while, I am feeling nauseous and tired so walking was put on the back burner of our lives.  9 weeks after everyone else was 100% better, I was still feeling terrible.  I went to see my doctor and was told I was pregnant.  I was excited!  We started walking again, but it was hard because I was nauseous all the time.

So here I am.  My baby is almost 11 months old and I have fell back into the routine of eating before bed.  Justifying it by the fact that I need to double my calories because I breastfeed my daughter.  I am still eating healthy throughout the day, but nighttime still gets me.  Also, the walking has ceased as we were in a polar vortex.  It has been a very cold winter here this year.  Well, no more excuses.  I am working on a plan to get back to my sweet place of victory using God's wisdom and guidance.

2 comments:

  1. You have already established healthy habits so your one step ahead of me. I love that you included your family in your healthy choices. Remember next time you crave, just pray! You got this. Stephanie Solberg OBS Group Leader

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow! I had no idea how much of your life I can relate to (especially the need to take bikes in order to get the kids to walk!). i too remember feeling horrible a few weeks before I was told i was pregnant with my last kiddo! My youngest's birth date is March 7th...thinking they must be around the same age :)
    -Bethany
    www.BethanyBoring.com

    ReplyDelete